Data Center Relocation & Multi-Site Data Center Relocations
Data center relocations, whether it’s to another floor, across town, coast-to-coast, or another continent, is something we do more than 300 times a year for our global client base. Our proven, experienced project managers take the burden off your personnel, while helping you avoid the common pitfalls that cause major business disruptions and sleepless nights.
More than simple server movers, our highly qualified, seasoned specialists plan and execute data center relocations, IT asset moves and server relocations, down to the smallest detail. Our team understands that every relocation is different, and can tailor our white-glove relocation service to your specific requirements. Local IT asset moves, basic pack-and-ship operations, or full relocation planning, project management and execution, our experts have a solution for you.
Our flexible delivery model also means that we maintain the quality you expect from our 20 years of experience in storage and server relocations, while providing numerous cost-effective options.
When we manage your data center relocation, you have the benefits of:
- A highly trained, qualified staff of more than 450 field engineers for de-installation and reinstallation of hardware (no general purpose movers);
- More than 60 services centers in North America, and more than 100 globally, to ensure that if a component fails post-relocation, we have the resources nearby to secure a replacement;
- Our technical expertise in designing, building and implementing technology solutions that, if needed, include the short-term leasing of swing or seed equipment.
Real-World Success – Cross-country Relocation for Global IT Service Provider
In just one weekend, a global leader in next-generation IT services and solutions was faced with relocating more than 600 data center IT assets for a mission-critical government agency. The two source data centers, in Maryland and Texas, needed to be relocated to four data centers in three different states. They chose SMS to guide their complex relocation early in the process. We developed an hour-by-hour relocation plan that provided more than 60 field engineers to de-install devices and pack the equipment at the two source data centers. The IT equipment was delivered to the four target data centers in air-ride, climate-controlled, GPS-tracked trucks and reinstalled by our engineers. The relocation covered more than 8,400 miles in just one weekend, with no unplanned service interruptions.
Reasons to choose SMS:
- Global availability
- More than 20 years of experience with data center relocations, moving servers and storage assets
- Seasoned project managers and server movers from our Data Center Relocation and Migration Competency Center
- Mature standardized processes produce proven results
- Proprietary tools specifically developed to support storage and server relocations
- Flexible service model provides numerous options for delivery and cost control
- 450+ North American-based, cross-functional, multi-platform experienced field engineers for de-installation and re-installation of hardware during physical storage and server relocations.
Relocation solutions designed to maximize client leverage.
When you choose SMS for your data center relocation and hardware asset moves, you remain in control of every aspect of the move, but gain tremendous flexibility with our experts guiding the process.
From before the asset move begins, we will evaluate and, if necessary, perform maintenance in any area that could be a potential trouble spot. We can also supply post-relocation maintenance and service to ensure you are up and running seamlessly.
Real-World Success – Audit & Relocation for Top University Health System
After acquiring a large medical center, a top university health system in the U.S. needed to consolidate two data centers into their primary data center. SMS provided a relocation solution for the physical IT hardware layer. We conducted a physical audit of both data centers and performed application profiling and dependency mapping across 90 applications. Our project team collaborated with the university to develop a comprehensive migration plan that allowed SMS to provide project management for both the virtual migration and physical relocation. During the execution phase, SMS provided the physical relocation of 400 IT assets into the target data center, leaving the university’s IT team free to manage the virtual and data migrations.
IT infrastructure services to complement your data center relocation.
More than simply moving servers, our project managers, IT experts and field engineers are ready to support you with an arsenal of IT infrastructure and support services that can be used at any time during your relocation and beyond. Among the many services we provide are:
- Data center / colocation strategy and selection
- Pre-migration assessment & consulting
- Data center migration services
- Pre- and post-migration hardware maintenance
- Hardware sales
- Asset management via our unique singlePoint® application
- Smart Hands / IMAC services
- ITAD (IT asset disposition).
This comprehensive and distinctive suite of services makes us the risk mitigation experts for your data center relocation and single asset moves. The combination of our dedicated and highly qualified team of experts, and our unique array of products, tools and services provides you unparalleled value.
Real-World Success – Nationwide Relocation for Fortune 100 Financial Client
Security and speed were critical for a Fortune 100 global financial services client that needed to physically migrate several hundred systems, including large storage arrays, from the west coast to the east coast. With local field engineering offices in both locations, SMS was in the perfect position to provide relocation services. Our experts worked closely with their project management team and OEMs to coordinate each move. We utilized air cargo jets, including Boeing 767s and Falcon Cargo jets, to migrate their gear across the country in 18 events spanning a full year.
- Data Center Migrations & Consolidations
- Data Center Relocations
- Data Center Strategy & Selection Consultation
- Data Center Inventory & Audit
- IT Asset Deployment & Installation
- IT Asset Disposition (ITAD)
- Data Erasure & Media Destruction
- Strategic Sourcing
- Smart Hands
- Storage Reassurance
- Network Discovery Services